Sunday, May 6, 2012

Prayer


 

The Jesus Prayer

I am writing a research paper for my Christology course. My professor wanted to present Christ in His person and the economy of salvation, the way in which Christ saves humanity. Ultimately he wanted us to draw near to Christ and increase our faith and spirituality. Pope Benedict XVI wrote Behold The Pieced One, it is an Approach to a Spirituality Christology. His first thesis states, "According to the testimony of Holy Scripture, the center of the life and person of Jesus in his constant communication with the Father." Using this as a jump off point I am writing my paper on the Jesus Prayer, "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner." In this statement we can pray like Jesus by calling on Jesus the mediator  constantly. In The Way of a Pilgrim, the unknown author talks about the Jesus Prayer as a summation of the Gospel in the first part and an acknowledgement of our sinful nature that must call for God's mercy in the second part. The shortness of the prayer lends itself to being constantly prayed throughout the day. It is a prayer of the heart so it requires setting aside some quiet time, locating the heart and saying the prayer 33, 50, or 100 times. To say that I am a novice at this prayer would be an understatement but a certain joy has begun in my life. It is not a prayer that has replaced my daily Rosary but has increased the contemplative aspect of my Rosary. We must always remember that the Rosary is also a Christological prayer and has its own fruits but is admittedly a difficult prayer to pray constantly throughout the day. When I polish up my paper I'll post parts of it here.

God Bless    

No comments:

Post a Comment